HCS publishes articles written in English, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
Each submission will undergo a double-blind peer-review process. There are no prescriptive deadlines for the submission of contributions to each individual issue: an accepted paper will be uploaded on the journal’s website as soon as it is ready to be published. There is no binding word limit; in principle, all papers should be clear and concise.
We do not publish book reviews, although we may occasionally host papers or sets of papers that provide substantial discussions of recent contributions to the field. We do not consider for publication papers on the work of living scholars. When submitting a paper to HCS authors undertake not to submit their paper to another journal until the review process has come to an end. Submissions to HCS must not have been previously published elsewhere.
HCS does not impose a single house style. However, submissions must be highly consistent internally in their referencing conventions (e.g. footnotes and bibliography). Text formatting should be kept to a minimum. Please do not create a file that simulates or anticipates — graphically or typographically — an arbitrary layout. Any special requirements of the author must be discussed beforehand with the editors.
Articles published in HCS are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence.
Final Copy Preparation Checklist
After the acceptance of their paper, authors will be asked to prepare their final version, which we will then typeset.
Authors should check their submission's compliance with all of the following guidelines:
- The file is in Microsoft Word (2013 or later) format.
- The text should contain no applied styles.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses).
- Text-based tables and figures are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- Illustrations and images are provided separately in high resolution (300 dpi or more). Please insert captions in the text where you would like illustrations or images to be placed.
- Please make sure that your footnotes are automatically generated (i.e., you have not numbered them by hand).
- When indenting the first sentence of a new paragraph, use one tab stop. Do not use a combination of the tab stop + space bar, and do not use automatic first-line indenting.
- Do not indent the first sentence at the beginning of a new section.
- Do not add spaces between paragraphs, but do add one space before and after a block quotation.
- Do not use hyphenation of any sort (automatic or manual).
- A Unicode font is used for Greek text.
- Where appropriate, URLs details and the date of the latest accession have been provided.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.